DUETI Advanced Materials
Why to choose this program?
To follow a fascinating interdisciplinary training in the field of physics and chemistry of new materials for advanced technologies.
The training provides :
- Knowledge of the principles of physics and chemistry of advanced materials;
- Introduction to methods of numerical simulation of materials and devices;
- Ability to synthesize innovative materials by chemical ways, to characterize, model and apply them;
- Capacity of critical analysis of scientific information ;
- Capacity of technical and economic evaluation of a project ;
- Ability to integrate in a professional organization and develop ethics and responsibility
- Capacity to work effectively and efficiently in a team.
The training fits the needs of many industrial sectors :
- energy generation and managing,
- chemical industry,
- biomedical applications ,
Unit 1. Physics and chemistry of advanced materials.
- Material science, Physics of semiconductors, New carbon materials, Thermodynamics of porous and divided materials, Mathematic methods for sciences.
Unit 2. Characterization tools.
- Chemical characterization, Crystallography, Ultrasonic characterization, Imaging, microscopies and spectroscopies, Molecular modeling, Numerical simulations of electronic devices.
Unit 3. Applications of advanced materials.
- Renewable energies: green electronics and photonics, Biophotonics, Introduction to Nano-Engineering, Materials for photovoltaics.
Unit 4. General knowledge.
- FLE/Scientific English, Comparative business Environment France/Europe/USA, Statistics &Financial Mathematics, History and Philosophy of Sciences.
Unit 5 . Research project.
The first semester of studies is common for all students. It consists in lectures, repetitions and laboratories taught by high level multinational and multidisciplinary teaching team.
The second semester brings the student in close contact with an environment of a research institute in academia or in industry via the realization of a research project. The student can choose among the list of proposed projects and internships. The project is finalized with a public presentation at University of Montpellier in June and evaluated by an international jury.
Students can enroll simultaneously into DU and one of the L3 programs of University of Montpellier (Physics, Chemistry or Electrical Engineering EEA), and validate 60 ETCS credits to obtain European L3 level of higher education.
Who can apply ?
French and foreign students having validates 2 years (120 ETCS credits) of academic program in sciences.
All courses are taught in English, so proficiency in English is required.
The program is not providing scholarships.
Where to apply ?
Applications should be send by e-mail to program coordinators :
Students who validated the DU and the total of 180 ETCS credits can apply to any Master program in material sciences.
We recommend 3 master programs in material sciences located in the south of France:
- Master in materials science exploring large scale facilities MaMaSELF : www.mamaself.eu;
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree “Chemical Nanoengineering : https://chimie-sciences.univ-amu.fr/chemical-nanoengineering.
The first students will be enrolled in September, 2018.